For the last two days I've caught the baking bug more and more have baked two seperate things, so I've decided to show some pictures and share some recipes for the cakes I've created!
My cakes are not perfect and this is my first attempt at piping icing using this tool from Lakeland.
First up some plain cupcakes with buttercream icing.
I found a recipe on Milly's blog from Pearls and Poodles and as her cakes are always gorgeous I decided to give it a go! So it goes like this:
Ingredients for 12-14 cupcakes:
4oz Caster Sugar
4oz Butter (at room temp or you'll be mixing for ages)
Capful of Vanilla Extract
2 Large Free Range Eggs
6oz Self Raising Flour
1. Add the butter and sugar together in a bowl and mix together until combined, add a capful of vanilla extract and beat until soft and fluffy.
2. Add your eggs and mix in.
3. Add self raising flour until light, smooth & creamy. Do NOT overwork the mixture.
4. Add cupcake mixture to your cases evenly and bake at 180 degrees for 10-15 mins.
5. Remove and allow to cool fully before you decorate them.
16oz Icing Sugar
1. Soften butter until smooth.
2. Add icing sugar bit by bit or it will go everywhere!
3. With patience and a delicate touch you will get light, smooth, sweet buttercream.
4. Add any food colourings at this point.
5. Pop mix starting from the edges to the middle.
6. Decorate as you wish. I used 100's & 1000's and Pink glimmer sugar.
I used some Dr Oetker ready to roll Regal icing for the butterflies.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes!
The recipe for these came from here.
Ingredients for 12-14 Cone Cupcakes:
12-14 Cornets (on offer at Tesco for £1 atm)
170g Caster Sugar
3 Free Range Eggs
170g Self Raising Flower
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place the cones in a muffin tin.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
5. Fold in the flour and vanilla extract until mixed well.
6. Place a large spoonful in each one (I would pipe the mixture in future as any over spill causes burning of the cones).
7. Bake for 20minutes or until a knife comes out clear.
8. Leave to cool.
500g Icing Sgar
1/2 a teapsoon of Vanilla Extract
1. Mix the icing sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth, if the mixture is too stiff add a dash of milk to soften it.
2. Pipe on to the cakes from the outside in.
3. Decorate with a flake and add decorations as you wish. I used crushed chocolate and 100's & 1000's.